McOpera (Music Co-OPERAtive Scotland)
Celebrating the talents of the community, and all the benefits that brings, it was an astonishing achievement *****
Teeming and seething, percussive, restless and evocative...focused and atmospheric playing from the musicians of Music Co-OPERAtive Scotland
Flexible Ensemble (variable number of performers)
- Solo instrumentalists from the Orchestra of Scottish Opera and associated musicians - All Acoustic Instruments Plus Voice
- Sue Baxendale - Project Manager
- Moira Morrison - Vocal Animateur and Composer
- Peter Kemp - Composer and Animateur
"A Song for..." Britten Friday Afternoons, Wallen MAP: Songs for Children Everywhere; Britten Simple Symphony
Stravinsky's Soldier's Tale with animated film, for septet or trio
Scottish Opera Brass (opt voice) - Koetsier Kinderzirkus; Plog Songs of War and Loss; Malcolm Arnold Quintet
Menyie Trio - Reinecke Trio; Bowen Ballade; Herzogenberg Trio
McOpera Strings & voice - Britten Simple Symphony; Handel Overtures and Arias; Barber Dover Beach
Brassketeers - Poulenc Sonata; McLean Scenes from Storyville; J.S Bach Suite No. 5
Other combinations available, fees negotiable.
Part of the innovative Music Co-OPERAtive Scotland formed by members of the Orchestra of Scottish Opera, McOpera Ensembles and Outreach are a collective of chamber groups, ranging from duos to larger ensembles, and including collaborations with choral groups (full and reduced orchestrations). Recent appearances range from orchestral accompaniments (Bearsden Choir - Glasgow City Halls, Strathendrick Singers - Killearn Kirk) to trio concerts for Scottish music clubs (Music at St. Cyprian's, Lockerbie Music Society, Linlithgow Arts Guild)
McOpera Outreach (Project Manager - Sue Baxendale) works with promoters to devise and deliver bespoke outreach packages for your organisation
Examples of recent activity includes:
• "Let's Make an Opera" - music workshops led by composer/ workshop leader supported by professional musicians, working with primary school children to create a short ‘opera' from scratch, leading to an informal ‘sharing' of work (Music Nairn)
• "A Song for…" - orchestrally accompanied song writing projects written by and for the local community for primary age singers, high school instrumentalists and professional musicians. This project can form part of a main concert series.
• "The Tales Project" - Stravinsky's "The Soldier's Tale" paired with a commissioned piece based on local tales of heritage and history by Peter Kemp (for children's chorus and professional instrumental septet).
"The Tales Project was undoubtedly one of the most ambitious and memorable that Milngavie Music Club has undertaken in its 75-year history...a truly extraordinary event." (Hugh MacDonald)
• A Young Musicians' work experience project (a ‘Space Camp' for musicians!) catapulting young players forward 10 years, and investigating the skill sets they might need. Culminates in a chamber music concert devised and performed by both professional and young musicians.
Other activity includes Britten's "Noye's Fludde" and "An Cadal Trom" by Matthew Rooke (Lammermuir Festival); the world premiere of Erik Chisholm's opera "Simoon" (CD available); and outreach projects for Milngavie Music Club and the Haddo Arts Festival.